How to Install a Kitchen Sink Basket Strainer?
How to Replace a Kitchen Sink Strainer?
Kitchen Sink Strainer Buyers’ Guide
In a household, sink strainers are essential for many reasons. Due to the water flow velocity, water pipes can get severely damaged. A sink strainer is vital for water to pass through, eliminating large pieces of food that flow with the water. There are several types of sink strainers, among which a plate-shaped is the most common one. Plate shaped strainers increase the surface area and decrease the speed of water flow. Another strainer is basked shaped, which is easier to clean as the filter is in the basket. Basket shaped sink strainer also offers more surface than a plate one, improving water flow.
Tools you will need for installation of sink strainer are:
– Sink strainer.
– Plumber’s putty for providing a waterproof spacer between sink and strainer.
– Pipe wrench and/or strainer lock nut wrench.
– Needle nose pliers or basket strainer wrench.
When you install a new sink, it would be easier to attach the sink strainer before setting the sink itself. Here are the steps for installing the sink strainer:
1. First of all, apply plumber’s putty to sink by kneading with your hands until it gets soft. Insert the strainer in the sink and press it so that putty holds all around it.
2. Attach a lock nut to sink strainer. Remove the excess putty from the sink and attach a lock nut so that it does not overtighten. Be cautious as you may damage the strainer threads.
3. Reattach drain pipe tail. Tighten the tail nut with the pipe, again make sure you do not overtighten.
4. Lastly, remove excess plumber’s putty and test the sink.
1. First of all, fill your sink with warm water.
2. Add dishwashing liquid into the water.
3. Soak the strainer into the water for about 15 minutes.
4. Turn the strainer upside down and leave it underwater.
5. Use a brush to clean the strainer while in the water.
6. Remove the strainer from the soapy water and rewash it with clean water.
7. Let it dry on a hand towel.
Kitchen tools price updated on 2020-01-19 / Disclaimer: as an Amazon Associate a Skillet Director team earns from qualifying purchases.