An electric skillet is basically like a regular pan that has been enhanced. It’s nothing more than it sounds – the best type of frying pan that cooks food without a stovetop. All you need to do is plug it into an outlet, and you can use it to cook a wide range of foods. One of the advantages is that it provides an even heating surface, which isn’t always possible when using a stovetop.
Modern electric skillets can be square or round, and they can make cooking very enjoyable. A wok used to make stir-frying very easy.
Traditionally, stoves came with a center griddle pan, which was perfect for French toast and pancakes. However, that feature was removed because manufacturers wanted to save space.
An electric frying skillet can be used for a wide range of foods, but a real question is: why do you need it? Have you been searching for the best electric skillet for frying chicken?
We have spent time creating this top-three list to save your precious time. We looked at several criteria to determine the TOP five products for sale today.
TOP-5 Electric Skillets
CooksEssentials 12×12 Nonstick Electric Skillet Review
tomorrow so you really only have today
and tomorrow to take advantage of this
brand-new value from cooks essential a
12 by 12 electric skillet we haven’t
seen one of these long cooks essential
in quite a while and so we’re exactly
that Meredith Lawrence is here with a
new one so thank you nice to be here so
why in the world would I might would I
need an electric I have a smell
something she said you haven’t seen one
for so long right here in cooks
essentials but it’s true like I grew up
my mom had an electric skillet right we
used it for breakfast for pancakes it’s
kind of that thing you know that that
great pan that can be either an
additional burner if your stove tops
full or if you don’t want to heat up
that whole stoke up you can just heat up
this one pan or you know you maybe you
don’t have a stovetop at all you’re in
an office setting or you know somewhere
dorm room you can do that here
I mean it’s so great because you can set
the temperature exactly the way you want
to set it I’ll just take this out to
show you so here it is this is the probe
that goes into the pan and you can set
that temperature so that you know what
you’re doing so that gives you a little
more control it sounds like something
good for someone like me like not the
best book oh come on a lot of the times
is because the temperature gets away
from me well the pans too hot exactly
and when you’re doing things like this
like deep frying these are these little
shrimp and in fact I put a video up on
my blue jean chef Facebook page showing
you how to make these little shrimp oh
boy so I do look delicious a cute but
you see when you’re deep frying you need
to know about the temperature of the oil
you want to be able to maintain that
temperature of the oil so well that’s
like that rookie mistake with fried
chicken I learned you know if it’s too
hot the outside burns inside still raw
so that’s where like yes you’ve got to
have control over your temperature I do
want to let you know by the way this is
on easy pay with free shipping and
handling so happy birthday from qv6
right and we have colors to choose from
so you can pick up your nonstick
electric skillet in this red that
Meredith has we have a platinum
available here it is for you in black
and then over on our other table we have
a dark blue for you as well so this is
available on two easy payments of $17.49
and Meredith’s doesn’t include this lid
it does right so that’s fantastic I love
it there’s a lid because now you can see
the progression see what’s going on over
here what we’re doing is we’re actually
poaching beautiful sides of salmon right
so I can put this temperature right down
to where I think it needs to be
for poaching and then the water what it
does is a skillet will cycle on and off
to maintain that temperature so you’ll
see at some point little bubbles you
seal a few little bubbles coming up here
now and then it’ll turn off just to keep
that temperature right and then come
back on again so I can poach that salmon
that’s important to have that lid for
that but I can see what’s going on over
here you know you can cook and make
those meatballs in the skillet then turn
it right down to low and just let people
come along and this is themselves the
buffets are exactly whose warm and you
know hot for you while they serve
themselves and I love that idea like I
have buffet servers but they don’t have
the control on the temp things are
burning on the bottom there right I got
to the bottom and the mac is completely
you know black this is why how you
maintain the warmth without burning the
food and that looks delicious
so even even at 7:00 in the morning that
looks great doesn’t it and Merida’s look
at the capacity you can say how many
she still has in this 12 by 12 exactly
12 inches in Zion obviously it’s square
12 inches square but a lot of meatballs
in here so tons of food that you can
give and then of course like we said
buffets are right you put it here you
put the lid on people can see what it is
they’re going for lift the lid help
themselves and you have that right down
on the lowest setting just to keep that
warm I like that idea and this is where
I think many of us can use an electric
skillet when mom’s diner opens for
business and yeah and everybody wants a
hot breakfast I know my kids they want
one what’s a pancake one once you know
cereal one what’s oh I want a waffle my
husband wants eggs over-easy I don’t
want mine scrambled with cheese so this
is we’re having that extra burner really
comes right and it almost becomes like
the weekend skillet right you bring it
out every weekend morning and you can go
ahead and make your food so here we’ve
got our sausage cooking we’ve got our
hash browns cooking we can go ahead and
add some eggs to fry here is it me or is
everybody hungry right now so that’s the
entire breakfast meal in one pan exactly
the whole meal now of course I love and
lectric skillet for when you’re doing
pancake so when you finish cooking all
this you know and it’s not a waffle
Gabriel I know you know it’s a pain but
we can go ahead and make pancakes in
here and again what I like is I can put
that temperature setting
where he needed to be so I’ve put it
around 375 350 to do pancakes add the
butter and the butter is not going to
melt or to burn on me and this is the
blue option by the way along with your
red your platinum and your black
this is brand new you’re seeing it for
the first time you’re seeing it new
today was on early this morning and then
we have it on those two easy payments of
$17.49 and no charge for the shipping
and handling that offer expires when
this month of June is over which is that
in the day tomorrow yes so you know what
you might be saying I could use a buffet
server or I could use an extra stovetop
I’ve always got before burner Smolin
sake imagine those times in the holidays
you know when you’ve your soup like a
slow one more right and then you’re
trying to recycle and rotate and choose
and like who has the priority to get the
burner now you don’t have to worry about
you have an extra burner right here and
I don’t know if you can tell but the
heat comes inside here but there’s no
heat being sent off ah in the summer
months and you don’t want to turn on
your stove and have to keep you know
emanating all through your kitchen you
can actually put this on and save
yourself a lot some heat in Boston merit
if you mentioned like the holidays in my
house there are a lot of cooks in the
kitchen so this is where like my
mother-in-law she can be over there on
that side of the kitchen with this
you’re cooking up whatever it is she
wants to make you don’t love her and
water right you know we’re all up on
each other how does this only one
stovetop abscess that allows you to like
have a stove on the other side of the
case and it gives people stations to
work out which is so perfect here look
at this beautiful sloppy joes again this
is the kind of meal you can make in here
and then you just put it down to simmer
and let people come home and serve
themselves or maybe it’s you know you’re
watching the game or you’re having that
the kids games on the weekend you just
want people to come over and make
himself a sandwich whenever they arrive
there’s a hot meal waiting exactly I
don’t know what that says that makes you
at the party instead of the host of the
party so you can just do this all ahead
of time put it there and then you go
have a good time
can I make a request yeah we get a blue
jean chef tutorial on your sausage oh
that looks what I call me that’s a great
idea I’ll put that on the list all right
awesome oh look who suddenly appears
I’ve invented a new game called bobbing
for meatloaf let’s do it
how about bobbing for sloppy joes
I will try that though you go ahead take
the whole place okay with me see you
later all right
yeah I know all right but a couple of
hundred of these now ordered keep in
mind brand-new today this is part of our
happy birthday celebration yeah BC we’re
celebrating 30 years so cooks essentials
created this 12 by 12 nonstick electric
skillet at an amazing price $34.98 free
shipping and handling and you have that
easy pay option and you said the key
here Meredith is that you have
temperature control exactly I’ll show
you that one more time here so I just
removed that probe here is your
temperature control so you can actually
see what you’re setting the temperature
to so here we’ve let can you smell this
it’s so delicious strawberry and rhubarb
but like it’s just smelling great
you put that on the right temperature
and then you can have this just
simmering C then we make soup Dan walked
away just you know I guess like you he
likes the meat potatoes but look at how
like really my day with dessert yeah oh
my status bar shortcake
just choose a color black red platinum
or your blue and this K for four nine
eight Merida thank you so much thank you
I’ll be looking for that basic spell all
right all right well this was actually
the finale of our 30th birth
#1 Review: Presto 06852 16-Inch non-stick Electric Skillet
It didn’t take too long to determine that this is the best stainless steel electric frying pan for money. Although the price is low, you get an amazing amount of value from it. It’s the Presto 06852 16-Inch w/glass lid, and it has several features that will make it hard for you to believe that it’s so cheap.
For starters, it has a tempered glass cover and high sidewalls, which makes it perfect for breakfast, dinner or lunch. It’s a great frypan for entertaining at a small party. Since the cover is made from tempered glass, you’re able to watch as a food cooks, which is the best part about cooking!
The inside has a non-stick coating, so you don’t have to worry about food sticking and messy cleanup. This particular fry pan is dishwasher safe, but you have to remove the heat control. There is a built-in Master Control for the heat, which ensures the skillet is always at an optimal cook temperature.
One reason why we like this electric fry pan is that it saves energy. It’s much more efficient than using an oven or range burner. It packs as whopping 1,000 watts, 120 volts of power.
With a temperature control setting, you can choose temperature between 200 to 400 degrees F, and there is also a ‘warm’ setting. There is a decent amount of cooking space, but you might want a larger skillet.
A center of the frying skillet gets hotter than the rest, but it’s not so bad that it burns food. Overall, this is an excellent mid-sized skillet – the perfect choice for two adults. In terms of value for the money, this product is #1 on our list.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Overview
|Presto 06852 size||23 x 13 x 9 inches|
|Presto 06852 weight||9 pounds|
Presto 06582 is a 16-inch frying pan that’s big enough for party cooking and the preparation of family-sized meals. High side walls make cooking process cleaner and reduce the risk of a serious mess, regardless of ingredients being prepared in the nonstick skillet.
Presto 06852 features non-stick coating and glass lid. It’s powered by an energy-efficient 1,500-watt motor. it can be used to cook meals and to keep them warm during parties and other social gatherings.
Other practical features that Presto 06582 is equipped with include cast aluminum construction, master heat controls, stay-cool lid and side handle, fully dishwasher-safe and suitable for a vast range of food preparation methods (roasting, frying, stewing, grilling, baking, casserole preparation, etc.).
This large electric skillet measures 23 by 13 by nine inches and its weight is 9.6 pounds.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Advantages
Opting for Presto 06582 will enable you to enjoy a wide range of benefits. People that have already given this TOP electric skillet a try report the following advantages:
- Big cooking surface, compact design: frying brags a massive cooking surface and it’s great for the preparation of family meals and for cooking food during parties. At the same time, the overall design is small enough for counter-top placement.
- High sides: high sides of the pan reduce the risk of having food splatters all over the kitchen surface. It’s one of the most convenient and practical design features of this appliance.
- Nonstick interior: the non-stick electric pan simplifies preparation of all kinds of meals. The Presto 06852 is very easy to clean because there will be no stuck or burnt food on the bottom.
- Even cooking: the entire food preparation surface gets heated evenly. As a result, all of the ingredients are thoroughly cooked and your food will taste delicious.
- Warm setting: after the food preparation process has been completed, leave the Presto 06852 on the warm setting. It will maintain your food warm, which is a great feature for use during parties and celebrations.
- Heats up quickly: Presto 06582 doesn’t require a lot of time to get thoroughly heated. Making food in the skillet is a quick and easy process.
- Easy to clean: once the temperature control is removed, a Presto 06852 becomes 100 percent dishwasher safe. Needless to say, this characteristic simplifies the cleaning process significantly.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Shortcomings
Cons of the electric skillet aren’t numerous and most of them don’t interfere with the functioning of the appliance. Some of the frequently mentioned shortcomings in customer testimonials include:
- Feet aren’t rubberized: which isn’t a big problem because the stainless steel electric frying pan is pretty stable, especially when it gets filled with large amount of food.
- Leg screw issues: with prolonged use, leg screws may get loose. Some people that own the Presto 06852 and use it regularly report that screw tightening is required occasionally.
- Controls located very close to the skillet: the temperature control knob is found close to the skillet, which means that it gets heated during the heating process. Re-adjusting the temperature could be challenging.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Verdict
Presto 06852 is a quality, durable appliance that is made to last. Its body is solid and the skillet is large enough to prepare sufficient quantities of food. Non-stick coating that the appliance is equipped with and high sides simplify the cooking process even further and make it perfect for everyone, regardless of experience level.
All benefits of Presto 06852 far outweigh shortcomings. If you find the size of the skillet and its functionalities suitable, you should go ahead.
#2 Review: Oster CKSTSKFM05 16-Inch Electric Skillet
We ended up going with the Oster CKSTSKFM05 for our second choice. It’s more expensive than the TOP pick, but it has plenty of value to offer. It’s a larger, 16 by 12-inch electric pan, so it gives you plenty of cooking surface.
The temperature probe makes it very easy to set and adjust the cooking temp. It is dishwasher safe, so you don’t have to worry about scrubbing it clean. Handles are ‘cool-touch’, so the chance of getting burned if slim to none.
Like most other stainless electric skillets, it has a tempered glass lid, so you get to enjoy the experience of watching for food cook. The Oster CKSTSKFM05 makes it very easy to cook a wide range of foods from your home. You can make grilled-cheese sandwiches, BLTs and much more. It’s especially good for cooking small meals.
The only problem some people have had is the lid not fitting as snugly as they’d like. However, we certainly don’t view this as a deal-breaker, so we’ve continued to keep this as our #2 top pick.
Oster CKSTSKFM05 16-Inch Overview
|Oster CKSTSKFM05 Size||19.8 x 13.4 X 6.8 inches|
|Oster CKSTSKFM05 Weight||4.24 pounds|
Oster CKSTSKFM05 has a large cooking surface of 16 by 12 inches. It’s great for use during parties and the preparation of large family meals. The skillet itself measures 6.8 by 19.8 by 13.4 inches and its weight is nine pounds.
The interior of the appliance features a non-stick coating for easier food preparation. This is a versatile pan and it allows for food to be cooked in a range of different ways. There’s accurate temperature control for added precision and simplicity of use.
A couple of additional noteworthy characteristics include cool-touch handles that aren’t going to get heated during cooking, tempered glass lid, stainless steel body and dishwasher-safe design for easier cleaning.
Oster CKSTSKFM05 16-Inch Advantages
Going through numerous customer reviews, it’s easy to spot a pattern. Many people write about the similar positive experiences that they have had with Oster CKSTSKFM05. Some of the biggest advantages include:
- Versatile: the skillet can be used to grill, broil, bake, steam, and even deep fry foods. It all depends on the amount of oil placed inside and the food preparation preferences of the cook. Since it’s such a versatile appliance, Oster CKSTSKFM05 can be used daily for food preparation.
- Easy temperature controls: the temperature control probe allows for easy adjustments. The appliance can work on both low and high settings. Just choose the temperature that’s right for the type of meal you have in mind and give the Oster CKSTSKFM05 a little bit of time to get heated. Temperature markings are available both in Celsius and Fahrenheit scales.
- Sturdy and lightweight at the same time: the electric pan is well-made and the quality materials used in the construction give it the sturdiness that it needs. At the same time, the Oster CKSTSKFM05 has a lightweight design. It can be moved around the kitchen and taken out effortlessly.
- Stay cool handles: handles are made of a material that remains cool throughout the cooking process. Thus, lifting the electric skillet and moving it around will be easy and there’s no need for additional safety precautions.
- Easy to clean: it’s suitable for regular use because it’s easy to clean and maintain in a pristine condition. The construction is dishwasher safe after the temperature probe is removed.
- Deep and big: the pan is very deep and the cooking surface is large. It can hold and prepare large quantities of food.
Oster CKSTSKFM05 16-Inch Shortcomings
People that have bought this appliance report experiencing a couple of problems. The most commonly mentioned shortcomings include:
- Problems with hotspots: some people experienced issues with uneven heat distributions. Some of their food happened to be burned while the rest was cooked perfectly. Some reviews mention even and perfectly satisfactory heat distribution. Still, the issue is something to keep in mind.
- 50-degree increments of temperature dial: some people weren’t that happy with the fact that the temperature dial comes in 50-degree increments. A few individuals would have liked to have more precise controls.
- Some issues with nonstick coating: few reports mention problems with the quality of the non-stick coating. This isn’t a common concern, however.
Oster CKSTSKFM05 16-Inch Verdict
People in need of large and easy to use electrical skillet will be happy with Oster CKSTSKFM05. It has some cool characteristics and the pan also features an excellent price to quality ratio.
One of the biggest concerns is about uneven heat distribution. It’s been mentioned in a couple of testimonials, though many other people report their complete satisfaction with the electric frypan. Regardless of this issue, Oster CKSTSKFM05 is a quality appliance that’s perfect for the quick and safe preparation of meals. If you’re looking for something a bit more affordable that will still get the job done, you’ll be perfectly satisfied with this electric skillet.
#3 Review: Proctor Silex 38526 Electric Skillet
This was a difficult choice to make because of the price, but we ended up going with the Proctor Silex 38526 as our third choice. It has 1200 watts of power, and it has a cooking surface of 11 by 14 inches, which includes a non-stick coating.
The temperature control dial makes it very easy to choose the exact temperature. There is an indicator light that adjusts from warm-up to 450 degrees F. The glass cover has a stainless-steel handle and rim, and handles make safe transport a breeze.
The entire skillet is housed inside of a beautiful brushed stainless-steel compartment. It’s safe to wash in a dishwasher, and it comes with easy-to-read instructions and a recipe book that has over 30 different recipes. It’s built to meet the North American Electrical Standards.
This is truly one of the most versatile electric skillets that we’ve researched. You can adjust the temperature to as high as 450 degrees, so you could technically deep fry food if you wanted. This is a great product for the money.
Proctor Silex 38526 Overview
|Proctor Silex 38526 size||16.3 x 11.2 x 7 inches|
|Proctor Silex 38526 weight||4.9 pounds|
It’s a 1200-watt skillet that has a 11 by 14-inch cooking surface. The Proctor Silex 38526 non-stick coating simplifies the preparation of all kinds of foods and it also makes cleaning the appliance an easy task.
Some of the other great characteristics that the electrical pan is equipped with include a functional temperature control dial in the range from zero to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, glass cover with a stainless steel rim and handle, two side handles, a brushed stainless steel body and dishwasher-safe construction.
For some added convenience, the electric skillet is provided with a booklet that features 30 recipes. If you’re making those first steps in the world of homemade food preparation, you’ll find the culinary suggestions quite beneficial.
The Proctor Silex 38526 measures 11 by 14 inches and its weight is 4.89 pounds. This brand has followed North American standards in constructing the appliance.
Proctor Silex 38526 Advantages
Proctor Silex 38526 has gotten an overwhelmingly big number of positive customer reviews. There are a few outstanding beneficial characteristics that get mentioned in more than one buyer testimonial:
- Versatile: the Proctor Silex 38526 can be used to cook a vast range of ingredients in several different ways. The fry pan is even suitable for deep frying because of the high temperature it can reach.
- Easy to clean: the non-stick frying pan is dishwasher-safe both contribute to easy and effort-free cleaning. The non-stick surface also simplifies the preparation of some trickier meals.
- Solid construction: the Proctor Silex 38526 is made of tough stainless steel and it features a solid base. Its construction extends the longevity and it increases the level of safety during the food preparation process.
- Excellent return on investment: as some buyers describe it, this electric pan is a “workhorse.” It’s suitable for everyday use and the appliance isn’t going to suffer serious damage as a result of frequent cooking. If you intend to prepare daily meals in an electrical skillet, you’ll need a solid square frypan like Proctor Silex 38526.
- Durable nonstick finish: some non-stick coatings aren’t particularly long-lived. Some reviewers have reported that after a few years of frequent use, Proctor Silex 38526 maintained the impeccable quality of its coating and there was no cracking or peeling.
- Food cooks evenly: the nonstick electric skillet is ideal for individuals that are making their first steps in culinary. The entire cooking surface will get heated up evenly, which will contribute to food getting cooked all the way through. Ingredients will be cooked evenly, resulting in delicious meals.
Proctor Silex 38526 Shortcomings
There are just a few minor shortcomings that have to be mentioned about Proctor Silex 38526. The most important cons mentioned in a few testimonials include:
- Relatively expensive: Proctor Silex 38526 is more expensive than some other electric pans on the market. As already mentioned, however, it’s very tough and long-lived. The fact that it will remain in an excellent condition for years to come justifies the upfront expenditure and brings a high return on investment.
- Side handles made of steel: side handles that the skillet comes equipped with are made of stainless steel. This means they’ll get heated during the cooking process.
Proctor Silex 38526 Verdict
Proctor Silex 38526 is a versatile and user-friendly cooking appliance. It can be used to make a wide range of meals and the process remains simple, regardless of the recipe’s complexity. The quality non-stick coating that the Proctor Silex 38526 is equipped with is one of its biggest advantages.
Benefits of giving Proctor Silex 38526 a try far outweigh the shortcomings. If you are looking for a durable piece of meal preparation equipment, you’ll be perfectly happy with the purchase. Get ready to spend a bit more money on electrical skillet, however, you’ll forget about the purchase of similar appliances in the years to come.
#4 Review: Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet Electric Skillet
Anyone looking for a relatively big electric skillet will be happy with what Cuisinart CSK-250 has to bring to the table. The 14-inch cooking surface is big enough for the preparation of a family-sized meal. Also, it’s equipped with a couple of other cool and practical functionalities.
Cuisinart CSK-250 Overview
|Cuisinart CSK-250 size||17.2 x 18.2 x 7.3 inches|
|Cuisinart CSK-250 weight||14.15 pounds|
Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet is powered by a 1,800-watt motor and it can reach a temperature of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The adjustable temperature dial makes it relatively easy to select the optimal food preparation temperature.
A stainless steel body and non-stick coating add to the toughness and the practical appeal of the electric skillet. Cuisinart CSK-250 can be used to prepare a wide range of meals and none of ingredients will stick to the bottom of the appliance.
There are a few additional noteworthy characteristics like petroleum-free and ceramic-based griddle, a tempered glass lid with a handle, two side handles made of stainless steel, dishwasher-safe body, and construction that’s coordinated with North American Electrical Standards.
The Cuisinart CSK-250 measures 7.28 by 17.17 by 18.2 inches and its weight is 11 pounds.
Cuisinart CSK-250 Advantages
A big size of the Cuisinart CSK-250 is one of its biggest advantages. Such an appliance is perfect for a bigger family because it can hold sufficient quantities of ingredients and because of the food preparation versatility. A few other benefits are also worth mentioning:
- A recipe book is provided: if you’re making your first steps in the world of homemade meals, you’ll be glad to find out that Cuisinart has included a recipe booklet in the product kit. Instructions are easy to follow, helping you acquaint yourself with some great meals and techniques.
- Dishwasher safe: Cuisinart CSK-250 is dishwasher safe and very easy to keep in great condition. The non-stick interior keeps ingredients from getting burned and stuck to the surface, which simplifies the cleaning process even further.
- Excellent heat distribution: all Cuisinart electric skillets are known for the even heat distribution. As a result, all ingredients will be cooked thoroughly and all the way through.
- Temperature control dial and indicator light: the temperature control dial can be used to select the optimal cooking temperature for the meal you have in mind. Once the temperature has been reached, the light indicator will get turned on.
- Glass lid: if you like to keep an eye on the food while it’s getting cooked, you’ll like the glass lid. You can observe the food preparation process without taking the lid off.
- Very tough and long-lived: the body of the electric skillet is made of tough stainless steel. The product has a solid construction and it’s meant for heavy-duty use. Even if you cook meals in it daily, you’ll still get to enjoy it for years to come.
- Long-lived non-stick coating: apart from being made of quality stainless steel, the Cuisinart CSK-250 also features long-lived non-stick coating. It’s not going to get cracked and it’s not going to start peeling off because of intense skillet use.
Cuisinart CSK-250 Shortcomings
We need to mention a couple of product shortcomings to make the review comprehensive and unbiased:
- Side handles made of stainless steel: the Cuisinart CSK-250 side handles are made of stainless steel, which means that they’ll get heated during the cooking process. An insulating material would have been a better pick.
- Small vent hole: some buyers complained about the vent hole on the glass lid is too small to be practical. Steam accumulates in the top part of the skillet and eventually starts dripping from underneath the lid.
Cuisinart CSK-250 Verdict
Cuisinart CSK-250 is a high-quality electric skillet for large families and people that like to cook bigger meals for friends and loved ones. It’s very easy to use and its versatility enables the preparation of a vast range of meals.
Most importantly, Cuisinart CSK-250 is made of high-quality materials which guarantee the toughness and the usability. Cuisinart CSK-250 is designed for long-term use every single day, you’re not going to see signs of wear and tear. The frypan comes with an excellent price to quality ratio and it’s worth considering.
#5 Review: Nesco ES-08 Electric Skillet
Nesco ES-08 is an electric combination skillet that carries the name of one of the world’s most popular chefs. Does it live up to its popular brand? Our review will help you figure out if this appliance is the right one for your culinary needs.
Nesco ES-08 Overview
|Nesco ES-08 size||12 x 10 x 6 inches|
|Nesco ES-08 weight||3.5 pounds|
Nesco ES-08 has a cooking surface of 10 by 12 inches. The product is defined as a small fryer, and roaster. The cooking surface is covered in a non-stick coating that simplifies the food preparation process and the cleanup after you’re done.
The high-domed lid provides a bit of additional convenience, as well. It has a steam vent that’s adjustable to correspond to individual cooking preferences. Also, the Nesco ES-08 has stay-cool handles, an adjustable temperature control probe, a baking rack, and a dishwasher-safe design after the probe is taken out.
Because it’s a three in one appliance, the combo skillet is great for smaller kitchens. It reduces the need for having three individual appliances positioned on the countertop and the pan itself is relatively small. It measures 10 by 12 by 6 inches. A weight of the Nesco ES-08 is 3.5 pounds.
Nesco ES-08 Advantages
This appliance comes with many cool characteristics and reviews are mostly pleased with its functioning. Here are some of the advantages that get mentioned in multiple testimonials:
- Big and sturdy: its design and construction impress right from the unboxing. The electric skillet is made from quality materials and it’s meant to remain in an excellent condition for a very long period.
- Cooks evenly: this is the most important characteristic and Nesco ES-08 performs beautifully. There are no hot or cold spots and all ingredients will be cooked through for a finger-licking meal.
- Easy to clean: the Nesco ES-08 is very easy to clean, whether you decide to put it in the dishwasher or wash it by hand. The nonstick surface doesn’t allow food to get burnt and stuck. As a result, no scrubbing will be required to get rid of leftover meal prep residue.
- High dome: many other electric skillets get disapproval because of the low lids that aren’t domed. This appliance has a high-domed lid that’s perfect for the preparation of larger items like a whole turkey, for example.
- Small enough: the cooking surface is sufficient for the preparation of a family meal but the Nesco ES-08 itself is relatively small. The fact that it’s a combo appliance adds to the convenience even further, making it perfect for placement in a smaller kitchen.
- Stay cool handles: side handles aren’t going to get warm during the food preparation process because they’re made of insulating material. This is a convenience that small electric frying pans having stainless steel handles are missing.
- Heats up quickly: you don’t have to dedicate a lot of time to get the Nesco ES-08 heated. Just a few minutes will be required to reach the desired temperature.
Nesco ES-08 Shortcomings
Disadvantages of the appliance aren’t that many. Here are the ones that get mentioned in multiple buyer reviews:
- Expensive: the electric skillet is quite expensive in comparison to what the competition has to offer. If you’re looking for an inexpensive appliance that will get the job done, this one isn’t right for you. Still, the quality of the electric frypan increases its longevity, which contributes to a higher return on investment.
- Markings on temperature controls fade away: a couple of reviewers have experienced this issue after a couple of uses. Though far from a big problem, it can get inconvenient.
Nesco ES-08 Verdict
Nesco ES-08 lives up to its name. The frypan will satisfy even the pickiest of culinary experts because it cooks evenly, it’s safe and it’s easy to use. Numerous types of ingredients can be prepared in it due to the skillet’s adjustable functionalities and versatility.
If you’re prepared to spend more money on the purchase of an Nesco ES-08, you’ll be happy with this item and its performance. The shortcomings are far too minor to discourage you from making a purchase. With a big number of positive customer reviews, Nesco ES-08 is worth considering.
Electric Skillets Buying Guide
Electric skillets are commonly used to make French toast and pancakes. However, they’re also used for Chinese cuisine, stir-fry and several different types of food, which is why every consumer should own one.
It can be difficult to make pancakes or French toast in a cooking pan because hotspots are common, so a skillet can be a better option because it heats evenly. Some – 12×12 inches and square, others – round with a 12-inch diameter. There are certainly many larger pans, which can be as large as 18 inches. The larger sizes can be extremely useful because they provide significantly more space for cooking.
A modern electric skillet can come with variety of features. Some of the newest pans have a non-stick surface and temperature control and might also be dishwasher safe.
One of the latest and coolest features keeps food warm after the initial cooking is finished. Much in the same way you would leave your stovetop on low after cooking, the electric skillet can do the same but in a safer way, using the keep-warm feature.
Most of them are usually made from aluminum and have a non-stick coating, which makes cleaning very easy. However, some electric skillets are made from stainless steel and still have non-stick coating.
Regardless of what electric pan you end up purchasing, you should always remember to never use metal utensils on non-stick surfaces – you don’t want to eat that stuff!
One of the first steps to choosing the best rated electric skillet is deciding on a size. You will find that most of them much larger than a typical stovetop pan, but some skillets are jumbo-sized and can be as large as 16 inches across. You need to think about how many people you’ll be serving regularly.
If you have an entire family to cook for, you’ll probably want to go with the jumbo size. A smaller skillet is great if you’re single or prefer cooking small portions of food at time.
Also, make sure you have enough countertop and storage space for the frypan you end up buying because most pans take up more space than their diameter.
This is pretty straightforward, but it’s still an important consideration to make. They’re available in few different shapes, and depending on what you want to cook, one shape could be better than another.
Square and oblong are the most common shapes for electric skillets, but you can also find round skillets. You will find that the oblong and square-shaped pans provided more cooking space than round.
Believe it or not, some have VERY small sides, which can make it nearly impossible to cook certain types of food correctly.
If you plan on using it to braise and deep-fry, then you’ll want to go with a pan that has high sides, which also accommodates more food. The higher sides make it easier to cook large roasts and whole chickens.
If you’ve done any amount of cooking, then you understand the importance of temperature. In most cooking situations, the right temperature is the difference between a poorly or superbly-cooked meal.
To do any amount of deep-frying, you need a electric skillet that can reach 450 degrees F. Many skillets can only reach max temperature of 400 degrees, which isn’t suitable for deep-frying food.
However, 400 degrees is certainly hot enough for pan-frying, so if that is all you plan on doing, then you don’t need a skillet that can reach 450 degrees.
Almost all electric skillets can be used for deep-frying, braising, sauteing and frying. However, some skillets have special inserts that make baking, grilling and roasting possible, so if you plan on doing any of these, then you might want to consider a pan that has the capability.
You’ll probably want to choose a glass lid because it enables you to peer in on the food as it cooks. If you want to see the food with a metal lid, then you need to lift the lid, which causes heat to escape.
You might also want a pan that has an adjustable vent on the lid because this will release pressure and force liquid to overflow the skillet. The height of the lid is also important. You’ll want a higher lid for cooking and roasting large food items.
It’s a very good idea to buy skillet that has heat-resistant handles. You don’t want to be that person using a t-shirt or wash rag to lift and move the skillet.
Aside from making cooking safer overall, handles that can resist heat offer great convenience. Another consideration to make is the actual pan material.
Most are made from aluminum while others use stainless steel. If you have money, you should try to avoid aluminum. One last consideration to make is whether or not the skillet separates from the heating element.
Most have the skillet and heating element permanently attached, and these cannot be washed in a dishwasher for obvious reasons. For easier cleaning, go with a detachable skillet.
A product price updated on 2020-04-06 / Disclaimer: as an Amazon Associate a Skillet Director team earns from qualifying purchases.